Monday, March 18, 2013

Dutch Vegetable Soup

I love to cook and I am rarely turned away from recipes with a million ingredients, but every once in awhile, I too like a simple and easy meal! This is one of those, 20 minutes from stove to table and it is a family recipe to boot! One of those comfort meals that reminds me of my childhood. One my Mom used to make and my brother and I always loved. One I now make for my parents when they come to visit and we still all enjoy it just as much as we did 20 years ago! It is called "Dutch Vegetable" Soup..and there is nothing Dutch, or even really vegetable about it! It is more like "Meatball Kluski Vegetable" Soup, but heck, I am half Dutch, so Dutch Vegetable Soup is much more appropriate! Where my mom came up with the name remains a mystery, but it is darn good, super easy to make (just 5 ingredients) and oh so good! I made it for dinner tonight and I am heading back to the kitchen for seconds! 



Dutch Vegetable Soup

1 lb. of lean (90/10) ground beef
16 oz. bag of Kluski noodles
16 oz. bag of frozen mixed vegetables
1/3 cup instant beef granules
16 cups of water


Add 16 cups of water to a large pot and bring to a boil. Add the beef granules and stir to combine.

Roll the ground beef up into approximately 50 small (chestnut sized) meatballs and carefully drop into the boiling water.

Add the Kluski noodles and cook for the time recommended on the package, usually 16-18 minutes. 

When there is 5 minutes left on the time, add the bag of frozen vegetables and stir to combine


Eat and Enjoy! :)



2 comments:

  1. wow that DOESE make a big pot! I may halve the recipe to see if they'll eat it. I do love soup though. It's a meal all in one pot. The perfect food to feed babies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does...you could easily cut it in half! I made it before Steve went out of town and it fed the three of us all week! :)

    ReplyDelete