Sunday, October 20, 2013

Butternut Squash and Goat Cheese Bruschetta



Ok..so I am officially declaring it Fall outside. The leaves are changing...and falling and the air is crisp! It's a football Sunday and we are headed to a friend's house to watch the Steeler's game. I offered to bring an appetizer and since I am feeling "fally," I figured I would try my hand at something seasonal and festive! It's a homemade recipe, and I must say that it turned out pretty darn well! Try it for yourself and you be the judge! 


 

  • 1 small butternut squash
  •  2 tablespoons white wine vinegar (additional may be needed for thinning out mixture)
  • 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil 
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried sage
  • Salt & Pepper, to taste
  • 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced (I use a garlic press)
  • 1 small onion
  • 1 baguette, cut into 1/2 inch slices
  • 1 (4 oz.) log of plain goat cheese

Wash and peel the butternut squash. Cut into 1/2 slices and continue to cut into small cubes. Dice the onion.


Toss the butternut squash with white wine vinegar, EVOO, thyme, sage, S&P, red pepper flakes and garlic. Add the onions and toss to coat. Let stand for 10-15 minutes. 


Saute the butternut squash mixture over medium-high heat for 15 minutes, or until squash is tender. Remove from heat and let cool.




Add the mixture to a blender or food processor and pulse until smooth. If additional liquid is needed to smooth out the mixture, add a tablespoon of white wine vinegar. 




Line a baking sheet with foil and arrange baguette slices. Broil until lightly browned. Keep a close watch on the bread and it can burn quickly!!



Remove baguette slices from the oven and allow to cool. Spread a thin layer of goat cheese on each slice and top with generous layer of the butternut squash mixture. (I reheated the butternut squash mixture as I like the appetizer served warm)
Enjoy! 


No comments:

Post a Comment